Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Start of an Adventure

As a child, my mother said my head was "always in the clouds", but nowadays I don't see that as a bad thing. When I would cloud-watch, I would daydream vivid images of myself and what my life could be one day. I would gaze at the sky and see potential in those clouds, for the daydreams and images they provoked in me showed me all that I could make out of myself.

To a child, clouds are mystical and magical. We don't know where they come from or what they're made out of, or even how they move most of the time. They're big and fluffy and white, and they are just floating without a care. Clouds are freeform; they change their shape constantly, and in doing so they change what they are and what they could be. Adult cloudgazers are surprised at the abstract images they see in this weather phenomenon, but children, with their open and expanded mind, aren't surprised in the least. Its like a form of divination for them, and perhaps we'd all be better for it if we took the time to lay in the grass and just cloud-gazed, too.

The potential I saw in myself when I compared my ambitions to the clouds was momentous, but not until recently did I actually attempt to put that potential to good use. In my life, in the past couple years, a series of events that may seem bad at first glance has led me to this point in my life now: I inspect the negative events and find in them a cloud's silver lining. Financial problems, an indecisive future career path, and a general restlessness have all culminated in one spectacular idea, and now I am finally embarking on this idea path with the fervor and eagerness of a child.

Over the course of the next month or so, I will be doing extensive work on a website business that I hope to launch and run myself. I've always loved working with my hands, being my own boss, and being able to make people smile with either my actions or gifts. Thus, an idea for a shop was born in my mind, and has only been gathering steam over the past year.

In the past, I've worked on this idea. I've built websites. I've made sample products and taken pictures. But for whatever reason, things have fallen through. I've finally decided that a combination of poor planning and a lack of motivation were my downfalls, and thus, the blog Gazing Skyward was born to keep me on track with my life's project.

This blog will also be a way of storing information that I'll need in the future, such as good tips and resources. I'll post at least three times a week, possibly more, with progress and updates for myself and my readers. I aim to be able to help others with this blog and give them a reason and a way to gaze at the clouds and into themselves to jumpstart their dreams.

Thanks for reading so far. I hope that over the course of this project, I learn things about myself and my future, and that you, the reader, learn something from my successes and mistakes. Most importantly, I hope that all our dreams, both mine and yours, finally get out of our heads and off the ground, to soar and take off into the clouds.

No comments: